11 January 2013
1. You're in the process of releasing a new album, "Made That Way"...Tell us about this collection of songs.
‘Made That Way’ is a collection of songs about memories, good times, bad times, love and heartache. In summary – it’s country to me!
2. What/who inspired you to chase a career in the music industry?
I have been inspired by many talented people and still am. Because I grew up surrounded by music, musicians and songwriters it was just something that was always there, I guess it kinda chased me! I suppose it’s what I was meant to do because I’ve never been happy doing anything else.
3. Originally a Texas boy, how have you found living in Australia? And how does the Aussie Country scene compare with that of the U.S.?
I love Australia. It took about a year to adjust to a few of the minor cultural differences but it’s home now. The country scene in Australia to me is much more diverse. In the 8 years since I moved to Australia it has progressed in leaps and bounds.
4. Has living in Australia added a new dimension or influence to your songwriting?
In some ways, yes. Being so far removed from my family, places and things gives me more insight into who I am and the things I may have taken for granted. In turn that is good fodder for inspired songwriting I think.
5. What other interests do you have away from music?
I’ve always dabbled in art. After high school I attended art school. My dream was to become an animator for the likes of Disney. I guess the music had a stronger pull in the end. I love going fishing with my two young boys.
6. Do you have a favourite song to perform, one that will always be on the playlist?
I like them all but I’m probably most proud of ‘Coffey Road’. It was my first number one hit and one that everyone requests.
7. What can fans expect from a Doug Bruce live show?
Real, honest, honky tonk style country with a little edginess now and then.
8. What music are you listening to at the moment?
Roo Arcus, ’This Here Cowboy’ - What a great album.
9. What is the definition of success for you?
Making a living doing the thing I’m most passionate about and being able to share that passion with others.
10. What's next on the agenda for Doug Bruce?
Weve got an exciting 2013 lined up with festivals and touring. I’m looking forward to getting out there and performing in as many places as possible and meeting more of the fans that have helped to make all this happen.